The Scotland on Sunday food critic

4 posters

Go down

The Scotland on Sunday food critic Empty The Scotland on Sunday food critic

Post by pepe Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24 am

Moaning about his Scotch Woodcock not containing any Woodcock Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The poor twat was obviously expecting some dead creature with wings but instead he got glorified scrambled eggs on toast.

WITH the possible exception of the twee little Berkshire village of Bray, where Heston Blumenthal and Raymond Blanc jostle for elbow-room next to the Thames, nowhere outside of London has as great a concentration of restaurants as Leith. But it's not just the area's three Michelin-starred restaurants that define it: there is also a wide range of great places offering good food at decent prices.
Whether it's the regional French gastronomy of Daniel's, the timeless elegance and excellence of the Vintner's Rooms, the Italian home-cooking of Domenico's, the traditional fishy qualities of Skippers, the rejuvenated Scottish cuisine of the Shore B

ar, or countless other options, Leith has a choice that sometimes bewilders those of us who remember it as a down-at-heel district best avoided after lights-out. Nor were those days very long ago.

Among the 'other' options sometimes forgotten is Malmaison, right on the dock. It's easy to overlook Malmaison because the boutique hotel's studied yet sumptuous velveteen bohemianism contrasts so starkly with the down-to-earth quirkiness of many of the other restaurants in the vicinity. After all, who wants to eat at a chain when there are tortured culinary geniuses plying their trade nearby?

Yet to pigeonhole Malmaison as merely a link in a corporate chain does it a disservice. After all, the company has a track record for taking over strange and curious buildings: there's the largely unaltered former prison in Oxford, the conversion of an Episcopal church in Glasgow and the former bus and tram depot in Leeds. The Leith version may not boast such interesting antecedents, yet the surroundings remain as opulent and comfortable as in any of the firm's dozen venues.

It is in the kitchen, however, where there has been a concerted effort to surprise and challenge. Over the years, Malmaison's food has gradually evolved, and under head chef Colin Manson the menu now encompasses a wide range of styles. How about mackerel teriyaki or scallops vichyssoise followed by winter root vegetable and gorgonzola lasagne or cauliflower risotto?

Over the set and à la carte menus, there were ten starters in all, and nine took my fancy (sorry, but the memory of granny's corned beef hash means the corn beef terrine with warm piccalilli will have to wait for another time). I went for the Braehead pan-fried pigeon breast with black pudding salad (note to chef: using the word 'Braehead' may evoke bucolic images of plump doves for east-coasters, but for those from the west it brings to mind mangy birds raking the bins outside a shopping centre) while Lucy-Rose showed a bit more imagination and opted for the truffled Scotch woodcock.

In the event, neither of us was entirely satisfied. My pigeon was still nicely red and there was plenty of it, even if it was a little tough. The black pudding was excellent, though: moist and gravelly, it added some much-needed texture to the dish. Lucy-Rose's woodcock was a bit of a surprise: there seemed to be no woodcock (Scotch or otherwise) and no hint of truffles, just a heavily seasoned egg concoction that was tasty enough but which bore no resemblance to our order (or anything else on the menu).

If our starters were disappointing, our main courses were better. Lucy-Rose again showed a greater spirit of adventure by opting for the braised venison faggots with Stornoway black pudding and mashed turnips, and was rewarded with a gem of a dish in which the rich venison and excellent black pudding were fused beautifully by a heavily reduced sauce that was nicely offset by the neeps. A great winter warmer and the undoubted highlight of the meal.

My smoked haddock with spinach, poached egg and beurre blanc was close to great, but let down by a stingy dribble of beurre blanc that seemed to have been included as a dressing rather than an integral – and important – part of the dish. Even so, the haddock wasn't too heavily smoked and had been perfectly cooked.

We rounded off with a pot au chocolate and a honey and ginger cheesecake. Once again, they were almost very good, but just missed the mark. Lucy-Rose's cheesecake was light and airy with a nice crunchy base, but a lack of flavour made it so tasteless that it was difficult to get excited. My pot au chocolate simply needed more chocolate.

This was a frustrating end to a meal that was characterised by decent value and attentive service in comfy surroundings, but which was ultimately defined by a menu that promised more than it delivered. Anywhere else, the shortfall may not have seemed so glaring, but this is Leith and only the best will do. #vital statistics

Malmaison

1 Tower Place, Leith, Edinburgh (0131 468 5000, www.malmaison-edinburgh.com)

Out of pocket

Starters £4.50-£7.95 Main courses £10.50-£18.50 Puddings £4.95 Cheese £8.50 Set menu £13.50-£15.50

Rating 6.5

Russell Sharp,
Edinburgh 08/02/2009 14:20:36
Richard Bath has once more showed he is a not particularly knowledgeable as a food critic. Any self respecting reviewer would know the Scotch Woodcock is the name of the classic savoury dish consisting of creamy scrambled eggs on toast spread with anchovy paste or Gentleman's Relish and sometimes anchovies. It can sometimes be served at the end of a meal.It has nothing to do with the gamebird.So an apology is due by him to the Malmaison; they had the dish as it should be.
Report Unsuitable
J D Anderson,
Glasgow 08/02/2009 21:22:53
I think that Russell Sharp has said what I was going to say! I DEFINITELY think there should be an apology to the Malmaison in next week's paper. What I find distressing is that a soi-disant food critic does not know what 'Scotch Woodcock' is! Does Mr Bath think that 'Bombay Duck' is duck, that 'Devils on Horseback' are real devils, or that 'Angels on Horseback' are real angels?
Report Unsuitable
Douglas,
Bathgate 09/02/2009 00:05:24
I remember visiting Malmaison and was very disappointed with the ladyfingers, no nail polish at all! I think the management need toad in the hole.

Richard Bath, what a shower.
Report Unsuitable
emc,
Tarporley 18/02/2009 16:19:55
Richard Bath's review of Malmaison confirms my view that food critics know very little about food and that very few of them can cook! His ignorance of the ingredients in a Scotch woodcock bear this out. I will be reading future reviews with a more sceptical eye!
pepe
pepe

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

The Scotland on Sunday food critic Empty Re: The Scotland on Sunday food critic

Post by Immo Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:45 pm

Very Happy Laughing

Wadda maroon... higgonuraymuss even....

Toots and I went out to a restaurant last week with friends

I managed to order everything in French cheers

Surprised everyone Shocked

...it was a Chinese restaurant Laughing
Immo
Immo

Number of posts : 5228
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:31 pm

"Numero soixante-neuf. s'il vous plait. Avec du riz frit."?

I'm getting concerned about Peppy, he may actually be catching on about stennymad. Any more of this and I may have to stop abusing his moniker. Laughing
supermo
supermo

Number of posts : 3941
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:03 am

Now if only you could "get" stennymad ya baldy cunt. Very Happy

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:27 am

crownliquor wrote:Now if only you could "get" stennymad ya baldy cunt. Very Happy

No chance of that happening Razz

You have a thing about "baldy cunts" don't you Licker? Not that i'm insinuating any unnatural tendencies of course.....
supermo
supermo

Number of posts : 3941
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:45 am

Very Happy Very Happy

Fucking smart-arse. Owned. Sad

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-05-08