Will The PRS Be The Death of This Board

4 posters

Go down

Will The PRS Be The Death of This Board Empty Will The PRS Be The Death of This Board

Post by JimmyMcGrory Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:55 am

I see the fuckers are stopping Youtube hosting music vids affraid
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Number of posts : 2519
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

Will The PRS Be The Death of This Board Empty Re: Will The PRS Be The Death of This Board

Post by crownliquor Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:57 am

crownliquor wrote:

You're fucked now mate, no YouTube:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7935833.stm

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Will The PRS Be The Death of This Board Empty Re: Will The PRS Be The Death of This Board

Post by JimmyMcGrory Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:09 am

Were you expecting me to search for that pirat
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:21 am

No, everything's a bagatelle with you Jimmy. Very Happy

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:36 am

crownliquor wrote:No, everything's a bagatelle with you Jimmy. Very Happy

I know where my breads buttered scratch
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:49 pm

I never expected to see things from the music industry point of view, but it does seem Google / YouTube are the ones to blame here.
supermo
supermo

Number of posts : 3941
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:05 pm

I blame Itunes users myself cyclops
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:09 pm

You'll never let that go will you? Sad

Laughing
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:13 pm

supermo wrote:I never expected to see things from the music industry point of view, but it does seem Google / YouTube are the ones to blame here.

They haven't been entirely blameless but the record industry are only whining fit to bust because their right to royally rip us off, which has stood unchallenged for years, is being threatened.

From the big: When CD's were introduced in the early 80s, the standard full-price for a new release album suddenly went from £6.99/7.49 (vinyl) to £13.99/£14.99 (CD). This was due to "vastly increased manufacturing costs for CDs". The CD became a must-have object - it was fetishised by consumers and the money came rolling in. A few years later they were being given away free with newspapers and the line about increased costs was exposed for the black lie that it was.

To the small: There has long been an understanding between the record buying public and the companies that after a title has been on the shelves for a certain amount of time, it is withdrawn and re-issued at mid-price (4.49 vinyl/8.99 CD). EMI have however have never issued any of the Beatles' back catalogue on mid-price and have been charging top whack for all of their titles for the last forty-odd years. Forty... fukkin... years Shocked

As for the argument that somehow we, the ungrateful public are depriving poverty-stricken,
up-and-coming young artists of the necessary revenue to make a career in music... Rolling Eyes

I think the attached article by Steve Albini has a slightly more realistic take on the "symbiotic" Rolling Eyes relationship between artist and record company.

From cross-collateralisation to recouping, the company holds all the aces. Aimee Mann's story is an interesting one if ya got the time to check it out.

The record industry has grown bloated, complacent and greedy over the years. They sat back smugly while the way people were listening to music changed irrevocably then only started to moan like fukk latterly as the scent of arabica began to waft up their collective, coke-ravaged nostrils.

Anyways...

The real reason the companies are shitting themselves is that it's not all that necessary anymore to have a major company sign you up (cf Arctic monkeys and Domino Records). As Uncle Joe nearly said "There aint no use for em..."

Talent will out.

The desire of young people to make music will never be thwarted by something as mundane as a lack of funds.

Fukk em all Twisted Evil

Here's Steve with the weather Laughing

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html
Immo
Immo

Number of posts : 5228

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:31 pm

supermo wrote:I never expected to see things from the music industry point of view, but it does seem Google / YouTube are the ones to blame here.

Heresy! Burn the Witch Very Happy

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:36 pm

You tell the baldy cunt uncle immo, and check your PMs darling. Very Happy

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:39 pm

JimmyMcGrory wrote:I blame Itunes users myself cyclops

Very Happy

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 pm

crownliquor wrote:You tell the baldy cunt uncle immo, and check your PMs darling. Very Happy

I checked em already cupcake Very Happy

Got the Reardon and the Christie.

Thanks for that cheers
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:46 am

I agree with Immo's (cribbed) points re. the music industry.

However it also seems Google want to have their cake and eat it. They are having to justify the colossal price they paid for YouTube by squeezing costs elsewhere and selling advertising. Two wrongs don't make a right.
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:47 am

Cribbed?!!!! Shocked

Cribbed??!!!!! Mad Mad

I've a mind to have my seconds call on your seconds Swearing

How fuckin duhhhhr you Swearing Swearing

All that stuff is based on my own observations whilst working in record shops and a smattering of background reading

Cheeky cunt Laughing
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:16 am

Immo wrote:

I think the attached article by Steve Albini has a slightly more realistic take on the "symbiotic" Rolling Eyes relationship between artist and record company.

OK not cribbed..."googled"....."researched"......"plagiarised"...Very Happy
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:57 am

I won't have this!!! Evil or Very Mad

Retract!!! Swearing

Retract I say!!! Swearing

That is a perfectly justifiable use of academic referencing to support empirical evidence.

Are you inferring that I'm a charlatan (and a bit thick????) ???? affraid

Is that the size of it??? Rolling Eyes

You utter cad saaaah Evil or Very Mad

If you want to throw hands I'll throw hands Fight

Although I hafta say, being accused of lazy referencing and plagiaristic practices by an ex-plyer of his trade in journalism has a certain toothsome irony about it. Laughing Laughing
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:45 am

supermo wrote:They are having to justify the colossal price they paid for YouTube by squeezing costs elsewhere and selling advertising.

This is correct. Salient point young man. Twisted Evil

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:51 am

Methinks Mister Immo protesteth too much.

In academia, steal something and it's plagiarism. Steal two things and it's "research". Pah! No No
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:05 am

All my own stuff - really

Don't care what you think Razz Razz Laughing

Have you voted on that comp thread yet you Baldy bastard??? Fight Laughing
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Immo wrote:All my own stuff - really

Don't care what you think Razz Razz Laughing

Have you voted on that comp thread yet you Baldy bastard??? Fight Laughing

I seen this post on another board last week Neutral
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Link? Laughing
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Very Happy Very Happy

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down