As much as I dislike Peter Martin,he may close to the truth

+3
supermo
crownliquor
bewlay
7 posters

Go down

As much as I dislike Peter Martin,he may close to the truth Empty As much as I dislike Peter Martin,he may close to the truth

Post by bewlay Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:43 am

PETER MARTIN: War chest will remain shut until Gers cash in on stars

Kenny Miller's arrival will be the exception rather than the norm as Walter will be expected to ensure the Rangers books stay properly balanced

by Peter Martin

RANGERS' claim that they banked over £20million from their European exploits this season must have had many of the Ibrox legions wondering if there was about to be a major spending spree by Walter Smith to finally wrestle the title away from Celtic.

The £9m from the sale of Alan Hutton also had the blue half of the city licking their lips at the prospect of the big splash.

The cry of ten, 12, no dare I say it, £15m in the war chest hasn't quite materialised and it won't over the summer months either unless a couple of sellable assets head out.

The reason there's no big spending in my mind is twofold. Firstly, Rangers are sensibly now working to a budget to reduce their own debt.

advertisement
Secondly, I don't believe any businessman in his right mind bails out anyone to the tune of £50m just because he's a fan.

That said, Sir David Murray, I am sure will look to reduce the money that's owed to him regardless of who was foolish enough to run up the negative figure in the first place.

Kyle Lafferty looks set to become the third man in at Ibrox this summer, alongside Kenny Miller and Andrius Velicka. Three strikers would seem to be a signal of intent from Walter for the new league campaign. Next comes the tricky bit, the flair players.

Do Rangers have £3million to splash on Steve Davis? Is he the missing piece of the jigsaw in the middle of the park?

Not in my mind. If it was me, I would look for a couple of wingers for supply along with a playmaker alongside Barry Ferguson.

I don't believe for one minute Rangers will resist all the attempts from the Premiership for defender Carlos Cuellar and possibly Allan McGregor.

The possible sale of these two along with the expected departure of Daniel Cousin could give Walter extra cash to revamp the back line as well.

I can't wait to see what the Rangers gaffer's line-up will be at and how they are going to approach games.

One thing is for certain, there's no way the troops paying their hard-earned cash will suffer another season of one up front and boring football.

bewlay

Number of posts : 701
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

As much as I dislike Peter Martin,he may close to the truth Empty Re: As much as I dislike Peter Martin,he may close to the truth

Post by crownliquor Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:55 am

Allan McGregor can go for me bewls, he's shit at coming for balls and is too small.

Cuellar will go, he's too good for the SPL.

We have to accept we're a feeder club, top players will not come here, there's too much money in England.

I want Rangers in the EPL, always have done, always will do. It's the only way we'll be able to compete on an equal footing with the rest of Europe.

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

As much as I dislike Peter Martin,he may close to the truth Empty Re: As much as I dislike Peter Martin,he may close to the truth

Post by bewlay Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:06 am

Dont disagree with anything you have said.I would like to the King stay another year

some more news on the gers

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,5~1331047,00.html

bewlay

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:13 am

You know what, Crown? If your club ever wanted to join the EPL, perhaps the little charm offensive in Manchester was a bad idea.

The riot that night set back any chance of a Scottish club joining the EPL by at least a decade.
supermo
supermo

Number of posts : 3941

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:17 am

Go away mo, adults are talking. Well, bewls and I anyway. Very Happy

Please let the signing of Lafferty, mean we can move on JCD and Cousin. Have to say I know nothing about him (Lafferty) though bewls.

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by bewlay Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:18 am

Hey Mo

do you think the locals in manchester have fond memories the celtic fans and their offensive rants in a city that was flattened a few years earlier

no offence like

anyway back to football Smile

bewlay

Back to top Go down

Post by bewlay Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:22 am

The Lafferty signing is a good one .Seen him interviewed in BBC NI last night and he looks kinda trendy

bewlay

Back to top Go down

Post by bewlay Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:31 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7451140.stm

bewlay

Back to top Go down

As much as I dislike Peter Martin,he may close to the truth Empty EPL!!!

Post by Gladstone Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:47 am

Crown, you are at the wind up. There is NO CHANCE of Rangers ever being in the EPL!

Eventually, a restructured league system in UK or more likely Europe may happen, but that is many years away, after the telly folk get fed up with the Premiership and especially the farce that is the Champions League. And even then, there is no certainty that the money people will want any Scottish involvement.
Why would they, as Scotland is seen as part of Britain, and the British involvement will be the English big four?
Gladstone
Gladstone

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:05 am

Bewls, I know you tend to get your "facts" from FF which explains a lot.

Last time I was in Manchester Celtic fans and United fans were not segregated going into or out of the stadium. There were no reported incidents of the chants you refer to.

Are you inferring your lot's hours of televised rioting and attacks on police are comparable to some chanting you may well have imagined? tit for tat, not quite comparable events, I'd venture.

When's the Bolton v Gers friendly going to be re-arranged btw? Suspect
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:16 am

crownliquor wrote:Go away mo, adults are talking. Well, bewls and I anyway. Very Happy

Please let the signing of Lafferty, mean we can move on JCD and Cousin. Have to say I know nothing about him (Lafferty) though bewls.

He's got a lot of promise. Good on the ball, especially for such a tall player. Played well against Arsenal last season in the Cup and got sent off for a rash tackle.

However, he is very raw and I'm baffled by the pundits who describe him as an out and out striker. His goal ratio for club is low and he's not good in the air. He's still young and I'd be surprised if he was Rangers main front man next season.

Bewls is obviously concentrating on the chap's sartorial appearance. I assume he wore brown brogues and a short-back and sides, unlike Celtic's wolfman signing today.
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 am

The truth!!! :o

Coming to a Scottish Tabloid Media outlet near you :o :o

Soon... :face:

Also in the news...

Raangers !!! :o

Fail to win Scottish title agaaaiiin! :o :o

Just then... Shocked Very Happy

Maguire/Martin was a pimp...

...he could never have outfoxed Strachino Laughing Laughing
Immo
Immo

Number of posts : 5228
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:23 am

It's almost as is the league never happened, isn't it? Very Happy

PS remember those long mafioso threads with ole Konty immo? Always enjoyed. Catch you later, gotta get up at dawn....
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:54 am

I miss that ole Kont Sad ...

...and he's only just signed out :rendeer: Very Happy

I gotta get a grip Laughing
Immo
Immo

Number of posts : 5228

Back to top Go down

Post by sevvy Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:11 am

"in a city that was flattened a few years earlier"

ironically, the same nice new widenend streets(not city) that replaced the"flattened" ones, were the same ones in which your stormtroopers ran riot in. Very Happy
sevvy
sevvy

Number of posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by bewlay Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:59 pm

Well Mo

I am going to indulge you.You can deny all you like mate.As for walking down with opposing fans I think it was Zenith St Petersburg we where playing and the fans were mingling all the way up to the stadium.Dont preach to me about getting my lead from FF when you spend a lot of time on the celtic minded version of that board.Some of the denial of Celtic fans behaviour comes straight from that board Very Happy I conform to the bewlay view of manchester which is a pretty consistent one and not complacent regarding the sad episode for the bears there.I hope you are not taking to the sevvy view in that the flattening of the city centre by the tourists done the city good in the end and and there ain't no harm is singing about it Smile ,in fact according to the new myth the locals tell all the tims they actually like the shiny manchester ,they thank visiting celtic fans for reminding them of it,so much so celtic fans may unfurl a banner in memory of the the guy who died in it.

hey ho Cool

now back to football.

a lot of money for an unknown quantity I grant you but I will wait and see how how gets on

bewlay

Back to top Go down

Post by pepe Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:10 pm

I think Smith will be proved right with this one.

Lafferty is young, has plenty of height and has a decent goal scoring record which with the right coaching can only get better.

I at first thought that he'd been bought as a target man for Velicka but,according to Laurie Sanchez, he's nothing special in the air. Mind you, I think Velicka is an absolutely cracking buy. He scored goals for a crap, dispirited Hearts and I can see him getting plenty for Rangers.

And Crown your comment about Rangers being a feeder club to the EPL is a bit silly in my opinion. Footballers, like anybody in work, look for wages and job satisfaction in their profession. Rangers appear in the Champions League every season which seems to be the Holy Grail for most players these days so provided your club are prepared to pay the (English) going rate for players I don't see why you can't attract top quality players.
pepe
pepe

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Bewls, I think I read CM about once a week. And not every week either.

The rest of your post is a lot of nonsense to me. I never said most of what you're wittering on about Manchester and I'm not sure sevvy (who lives there) did either.

As for the Uefa riot, your tone suggests it was someone that happened to those poor old "bears", rather than something done by them. Tsk tsk.
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by bewlay Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:46 pm

I agree Pepe.I think Lafferty is going to suprise a lot of people.Many of whom are cynical bears.

Mo

You win .Well done.

bewlay

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:44 am

bewlay wrote:
Mo

You win .Well done.

Laughing Laughing Hey Bewls, you ever see Tin Men with Dreyfuss and DeVito? ;)
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by sevvy Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:09 am

Bewlay talks bollox again, why cant he just face facts, his scummy mates rioted, and no amount of deflecting will change this. and hes a cunt. No
sevvy
sevvy

Number of posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:30 am

Quite right Sev.

And who the fukk is Peter Martin anyways? Suspect
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:00 pm

pepe wrote:

And Crown your comment about Rangers being a feeder club to the EPL is a bit silly in my opinion.

I'm having Adrian Chiles shot for annoying me, so watch yer lip ya Suffolk softy.

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:09 pm

crownliquor wrote:
pepe wrote:

And Crown your comment about Rangers being a feeder club to the EPL is a bit silly in my opinion.

I'm having Adrian Chiles shot for annoying me, so watch yer lip ya Suffolk softy.

Watch that Pepe, Licker. He could be a cunt.
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down