bewlay
its fukkin sevvy
supermo
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Football hacks make me laugh Empty Football hacks make me laugh

Post by supermo Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:12 am

"Barry moves to Birmingham City for a fee of around £1.2m..." regurgitated by every hack as they type one-fingered while their lips move...

Here are the actual facts of the matter: Barry has one year to go on his contract with Rangers. His basic salary for a year is, fancy that, £1.2m. Barry - understandably - doesn't want to leave Rangers without compensation, a wrangle which has gone on since summer 2008, when Bain asked him to nearly halve his wages in exchange of a 3-year contract that would have cancelled his current one.

In steps McLeish, desperate for a cheap signing, with a fee of - guess what ! - exactly Barry's remaining contract. And £23k a week wages looks cheap for a club in the Premiership these days. McFadden is on a basic 32 grand a week, to compare.

So the actual story is that Rangers have saved 23k a week, and Barry Ferguson picks up £1.2m for leaving (possibly paid in instalments by his old club) while retaining additional new income from Birmingham. So the cash goes to the player, via the club, who don't actually make any money but save his wages.

For McLeish it looks like a cheap deal by Premiership standards, but the big risk is Barry's injury record, particularly his ongoing pelvic problem and the fact he has probably shortened his career by taking cortizone for the ankle for so long (when McLeish was his manager at Ibrox, in fact).

Before Bewlay feels compelled to commit a sliding tackle about Balde / Gravesen / whoever, this isn't a tft about a Rangers story, the same complete lack of understanding of business afflicts Scottish football hacks nearly every time they're confronted with anything concerning finances. The result is that clubs, managers and agents run rings round the useless fukkers.

Fans are sold short by these numpties, as well as by players who long ago lost touch with reality. Most of the hacks write about sport because they couldn't be trusted with anything else in the media business.

Football hacks make me laugh _45626765_fergusonmcgregor_snsb2-1

Ah, that feels much better.... Cool
supermo
supermo

Number of posts : 3941
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Football hacks make me laugh Empty Re: Football hacks make me laugh

Post by its fukkin sevvy Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:16 am

An honest opinion from an honest hack. Very Happy
its fukkin sevvy
its fukkin sevvy

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2009-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:17 am

Here's another from the last few days:

"Sky & ESPN offer SPL £65m for a 5-year deal...."

"Celtic & Rangers think they could get a far better deal worth £25m over two years..."

These figures were quoted by the Record and the BBC.

There is no doubt Celtic and Rangers have a point that the SPL is run by stupid fukkers who should have looked more closely at Setanta's promises a year ago. And yes there is arguably more money to be had than Sky / ESPN are offering right now.

But let's get our calculators out for a moment (even the average sports hack could work out these sums in his head if he wasn't so busy regurgitating crap from David Murray and "Dr" John Reid):
£65m divided by five years = £13m a year.
£25m divided by two years = £12.5m a year.

Now which is the bigger figure?

I'll be back on my high horse with more news after the break... Mardy
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by bewlay Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:54 am

I've just checked.Rangers are still the champs. cheers cheers

bewlay

Number of posts : 701

Back to top Go down

Post by its fukkin sevvy Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:11 am

That,s spelt C.H.U.M.P.S.
its fukkin sevvy
its fukkin sevvy

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:30 am

supermo wrote:"Barry moves to Birmingham City for a fee of around £1.2m..." regurgitated by every hack as they type one-fingered while their lips move...

Here are the actual facts of the matter: Barry has one year to go on his contract with Rangers. His basic salary for a year is, fancy that, £1.2m. Barry - understandably - doesn't want to leave Rangers without compensation, a wrangle which has gone on since summer 2008, when Bain asked him to nearly halve his wages in exchange of a 3-year contract that would have cancelled his current one.

In steps McLeish, desperate for a cheap signing, with a fee of - guess what ! - exactly Barry's remaining contract. And £23k a week wages looks cheap for a club in the Premiership these days. McFadden is on a basic 32 grand a week, to compare.

So the actual story is that Rangers have saved 23k a week, and Barry Ferguson picks up £1.2m for leaving (possibly paid in instalments by his old club) while retaining additional new income from Birmingham. So the cash goes to the player, via the club, who don't actually make any money but save his wages.

For McLeish it looks like a cheap deal by Premiership standards, but the big risk is Barry's injury record, particularly his ongoing pelvic problem and the fact he has probably shortened his career by taking cortizone for the ankle for so long (when McLeish was his manager at Ibrox, in fact).

Before Bewlay feels compelled to commit a sliding tackle about Balde / Gravesen / whoever, this isn't a tft about a Rangers story, the same complete lack of understanding of business afflicts Scottish football hacks nearly every time they're confronted with anything concerning finances. The result is that clubs, managers and agents run rings round the useless fukkers.

Fans are sold short by these numpties, as well as by players who long ago lost touch with reality. Most of the hacks write about sport because they couldn't be trusted with anything else in the media business.

Football hacks make me laugh _45626765_fergusonmcgregor_snsb2-1

Ah, that feels much better.... Cool

When the Tour finishes and you finally get some sense out of me, gonna make a "world's best poster" smiley for this sort of thing. Mo's my hero. Baldy

And you are too immo. Kiss

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:55 am

Thank you man Smile

You may not be the original tart - but you're certainly the complete tart Laughing Kiss
Immo
Immo

Number of posts : 5228
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 am

bewlay wrote:I've just checked.Rangers are still the champs. cheers cheers

geek Sliding tackle came from nowhere!! Very Happy Very Happy

OK Bewls, I'll grant you three snatched-on-the-last-day league titles out of the last nine seasons....

Now tell me, are you feeling confident about the next three seasons? Or the next nine? Rolling Eyes
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:09 am

bewlay wrote:I've just checked.Rangers are still the champs. cheers cheers

Right knob mo Very Happy

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:36 am

Just you get on with your avatar design, Licker. Stop pandering to the board mentalists.

Yes that means you Immo.

And Bewlay too Very Happy

Deserve Better
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:40 am

Got my Wicker Man ticket today cheers

I'm un-upsettable Very Happy

Stick that in yer meerschaum Baldy Tongue Laughing
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:32 am

Here's another thing.

See how Celtic and Rangers didn't want the Setanta gig last season: how come Setanta supplied Celtic TV and Rangers TV?

Have I missed something, or have the press forgotten to explain that one to me? Fishing Rod
Gladstone
Gladstone

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:34 am

Immo'll wake up at around 3am needing a pish, and log in to outline the failings of the sports media, plus give us a few toons! Cool
Gladstone
Gladstone

Back to top Go down

Post by its fukkin sevvy Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:38 am

Gladstone wrote:Here's another thing.

See how Celtic and Rangers didn't want the Setanta gig last season: how come Setanta supplied Celtic TV and Rangers TV?

Have I missed something, or have the press forgotten to explain that one to me? Fishing Rod

Personally Glad, i think Setanta were the only ones stupid enough to broadcast them, did you ever see them?

pale
its fukkin sevvy
its fukkin sevvy

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:30 am

Gladstone wrote:Here's another thing.

Setanta operated Celtic TV and Rangers TV partly to keep the two clubs happy and partly to lure in their fans. Setanta took the gamble that they could aggregate viewers to major club channels (e.g. Liverpool, Arsenal etc.) and sell advertising, but the main aim was to entice Celtic and Rangers fans to sign up for Setanta.

It won't surprise you to know that Celtic and Rangers fans accounted for around 90% of Setanta subscribers in Scotland. Only Hearts and Aberdeen can muster anything over 1%. Like it or not, Celtic and Rangers keep the rest of Scottish football afloat.

The concept of a football club having a TV station isn't a bad one in this multichannel age. The problem is sometimes the coverage is too supine to be attractive to even the most devoted fan. But there is a market for reserve games, interviews, etc. Look how many bigger clubs have channels now.

I don't know about Rangers TV but I do know Celtic make more money from their online offering, Channel67, as it has many subscribers outside the UK.

What happened last year was that many in the City were concerned about Setanta's ability to service its debt and deliver on its big financial commitment to the Premiership. It seems only Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen (and possibly Falkirk) have directors who read the financial pages, G Rolling Eyes
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by pepe Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:42 am

It's not tft Very Happy Very Happy

Everybody rips supporters off and takes them for cunts. That's the press, the clubs, the various FAs, the bookies etc etc. Fans are a captive audience whether they pay a boatload for season tickets or get their tv subscriptions.

I'm going to go out in the garden with my trusty Brownie webcam climb up the tree and and take film of the tops of buildings that overlook Portman Road.

Yes you too can subscribe to PEPE.TV EXCLUSIVELY flower
pepe
pepe

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by pepe Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:41 am

Mlo are you a hack or a writer?

Or just a bullshitter....
pepe
pepe

Number of posts : 426

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakePlissken Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:43 am

theres times when Mo's quite an interesting read....its only when he tries for comedy that it all goes to fuhk.
SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by mita Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:55 am

SnakePlissken wrote:theres times when Mo's quite an interesting read....its only when he tries for comedy that it all goes to fuhk.

Offer him some of your material, Snake. jocolor
mita
mita

Number of posts : 254

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:36 am

supermo wrote: Like it or not, Celtic and Rangers keep the rest of Scottish football afloat.

I'm not sure what Rangers or Celtic contribute to Stenhousemuir, keeping them afloat. Deserve Better

Very Happy
Gladstone
Gladstone

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:38 am

Three empty oil drums, some planks and a length of rope. Champion

Is there another question?

You sir... at the back.... Smile
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:43 am

Hey immo, any jobs going at your joint (er, I mean work place)?
I might be out on my ear soon.
Gladstone
Gladstone

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:58 am

They just laid off 17 support staff

(mostly in Quality - fukk does that tell ya Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad )

Did it a handful of days after the teaching staff had all left for the holidays - sneaky bastards Sad

Academic staff will be next - fukkin guaranteed man No

What makes you think they're gony swing the axe at your place?
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:10 am

The 'axe' is just swinging at me! Mad Most older staff are pissed off, but I couldn't hold my toungue. Bad Tempered Fuck-wi

I've been signed off by the gp, and await the Council's next evil move.
Gladstone
Gladstone

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakePlissken Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:18 am

whats wrong with you?
SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-09-22