This Board needs a new mission statement!

+3
onomatopoeia
JimmyMcGrory
supermo
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This Board needs a new mission statement! Empty This Board needs a new mission statement!

Post by supermo Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:00 pm

There aren't enough or us left to form a clique first of all.
But of real concern have been the blatant philistinism about Pet Sounds. Coming so soon after my failure to get one sympathiser to the Palahniuk thread, it all adds up to a black day for intellectual bullies verywhere.

Recently I caught myself smirking at a bewlay joke. Where will it all end?

Immo - discuss! :-)
supermo
supermo

Number of posts : 3941
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

This Board needs a new mission statement! Empty Re: This Board needs a new mission statement!

Post by JimmyMcGrory Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:50 pm

God only knows mate, wouldn't it be nice if you still believe in me. I'm waiting for the day, I just wasn't made for these times. Let's go away a while, I know there's an answer. That's not me!

Don't talk Sad
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Number of posts : 2519
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

This Board needs a new mission statement! Empty Re: This Board needs a new mission statement!

Post by onomatopoeia Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:16 am

i'm back! i passed my exams! i might even post some pics!!!!! 🐒

onomatopoeia

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:11 am

Mucho congrats dear heart cheers Very Happy

What with your recent humbling of the exam-setters, this board is becoming a right wee haven for the academic heavy-hitters. :o

I've got my teaching qualifications, Mo's got his big pointy-headed masters degree and his journo quallies, Vern's got God knows how many letters after his name, Crown's got his cycling profiency certificate (with the badge and everything :o ) and Bewlays got his scout badges for needlework and dullness.

Last edited by sevvy on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:15 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : cos i fukkin want to)
Immo
Immo

Number of posts : 5228

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:56 am

supermo wrote:There aren't enough or us left to form a clique first of all.
But of real concern have been the blatant philistinism about Pet Sounds. Coming so soon after my failure to get one sympathiser to the Palahniuk thread, it all adds up to a black day for intellectual bullies verywhere.

Recently I caught myself smirking at a bewlay joke. Where will it all end?

Immo - discuss! :-)

It's a thorny one Professor Sperms scratch

People are basically lazy if they’re given half the chance. The gaudy, banal 24 hour Technicolor blizzard of intellectual and physical litter that passes for late capitalism doesn’t provide a lot of time for non-work related activity. The notion that someone might spend that time reading, viewing or listening to something “improving” or “difficult” rather than something light, relaxing and inconsequential seems increasingly out of step with the zeitgeist.

Reading has become the poor-person's equivalent of the pictures.

Huge swathes of telly are unwatchable

Classical music is either an ad soundtrack or a complete irrelevance

Adam Sandler releases movie after movie yet inexplicably fails to be battered to death by members of the public irritated beyond endurance by this prodigious output.

In the old days see… there used to be a canon.

A barometer of cultural excellence so we could tell shit from shinola.

(The soupy, provincial crushingly dull Thackeray from the urbane, vibrant, Victorian equivalent of Phil Redmond, Charles Dickens fr’example.)

For me, and hunnersa awkward, spotty, curious, municipal-library-haunting, working and lower middle class scruffy adolescents, it identified the books that, whilst they might be difficult to grapple with, would deliver aesthetic thrills, epiphanic moments or dazzling insights into the human condition more profound than those to be found in say… Michael Parkinson’s autobiography of George Best – (which IIRC I borrowed 6 times in total ) More importantly… you lose a bitta your fear of those books. You feel you achieved summat rather than just killed a slow coupla hours of our collective long wait for oblivion. It’s a good feelin – I remember it. Still get it if I’m lucky sometimes. Very Happy

But then the 70s came flapping over the horizon in their angel-delight-stained loon pants and knitted tank-tops. All "down” with “ver youth" and very democratic, pluralistic and right-on.

"Oh no no no" they said

(Cos I've anthropomorphised em now obviously afro )

"This will never do - how can you make a value judgement, based on middle-class cultural norms, about what people like to read/watch/listen to? It’s elitist and undemocratic. Besides – we have an academic theory (that just about holds water) which makes it possible to deconstruct/analyse Candide and Corrie, Joyce and Jackanory, Charles Dickens and David Dickinson. Which means everything’s texts. So everything’s the same. So studying any of em is equally valuable. Mmmmkay?”

Bollocks obviously.

What they failed to spot was that if everything means something, then nothing means anything. Why try to develop your understanding of life, art,culture (and consequently your social mobility) by struggling through a heavy, printed text, when you’ll get the same marks for a paper-thin, cobbled-together poster-presentation on Big Bruvvaaaa.

The argument also kinda confers “ownership” of the meaty bits of our cultural history squarely on the middle-classes and their heirs I reckon. I get a faint whiff of “not for the likesa youse” off’n it.

The rope ladders are pulled up

The middle classes consolidate their position

Hunnersa curious, socially ambitious, working class scuffers are left in the dark as to how to “get inty” reading, get bored, and go and buy a copy of Nuts instead cos it’s easy and it’s everywhere.

Cultural relativism – that’s yer culprit in my opinion Professor Sperms

I did hope it was going to be Bobby Brown again – but try as I might I couldn’t get him to fit the frame

Apologies.
Very Happy
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:21 am

Excellent, Immo, just the sort of pseudo intellectual mumbo jumbo this board needs.

Although it did remind me of the 80s when I spent a few years as a newspaper sub-editor and just loved to cut that sort of hyperbolic waffle down to maybe 10 or 12 words and stick it in the "Late News" box Very Happy
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:48 am

PS congrats Ono, we never doubted you would pass everything.

Apart from Licker obviously. But then he's grateful if he can pass anything that doesn't resemble some cyclist's cock and smell like Charlie Adam's sister's pants.
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:56 pm

supermo wrote:Excellent, Immo, just the sort of pseudo intellectual mumbo jumbo this board needs.

Although it did remind me of the 80s when I spent a few years as a newspaper sub-editor and just loved to cut that sort of hyperbolic waffle down to maybe 10 or 12 words and stick it in the "Late News" box Very Happy

No worries man Cool

Any time you need a loada pyshe just let me know Very Happy
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by sevvy Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:14 pm

"Mo's got his big pointy-headed masters degree and his journo quallies, Vern's got God knows how many letters after his name, Crown's got his cycling profiency certificate (with the badge and everything Surprised ) and Bewlays got his scout badges for needlework "

i used to have to wear a big white pointy hat with a D on it in the corner, i was too stupid to know how to spell kkk. Sad
sevvy
sevvy

Number of posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:34 pm

Your role is PC mongery and comedic genius Sev.

Still chuckling over the description of your respect for Crownybhoy flyin out the window.

"SMASH!" Laughing Laughing
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:03 pm

supermo wrote:PS congrats Ono, we never doubted you would pass everything.

Apart from Licker obviously. But then he's grateful if he can pass anything that doesn't resemble some cyclist's cock and smell like Charlie Adam's sister's pants.

Not so, ono will tell you I was very supportive during her revision, numerous naked photos were dispatched in her time of need. Unfortunately, these photos resulted in a knock on the door from the police and an invitation to sign the sex offenders register.........................again.

Congrats doll.

This Board needs a new mission statement! Ono_ex10

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:45 am

Very Happy Very Happy Uncanny resemblance.

Ono must feel like you're stalking her.
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Govanbhoy Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:35 am

Pfft.

Whit, in the wide world of sports, is all this tomfoolery and general malarky?

This board is a screaming oot fur bunkum, pyoor 'n simp.

I'm willing tae throw masel on the grenade of sensiblityinessness.

Fuckin' Emo Phillips lookalikes.

( well done Ono, by the by ).
Govanbhoy
Govanbhoy

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:50 am

Go for it, Gov.

Remember, you built this board. And never let that late nazi Snake Plissken forget it.

JohnnyCash CSC
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Govanbhoy Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:52 am

Where is old Mengele now?
Govanbhoy
Govanbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 am

Slamannan. Or Paraguay. I forget.

I believe he posts on the SF board. I never go there and don't know his moniker.

Huffy cunt, plissken Mad
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Govanbhoy Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:04 am

Was never too keen on the kilty board masel.
Govanbhoy
Govanbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:53 am

Govanbhoy wrote:Where is old Mengele now?

Mengele. Very Happy Very Happy

Your bullying of Gers will not be tolerated on here young man. Evil or Very Mad

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by Govanbhoy Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:58 am

I have sworn biblical calamity on those who spoiled my sunday the other week.

Especially when i had the Champions to win 3-1 on a correct score.

( bookies dream so i am ).
Govanbhoy
Govanbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:04 am

What were the odds on 3-1?

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by Govanbhoy Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:23 am

16-1.

Fools 'n' their money.
Govanbhoy
Govanbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:42 am

crownliquor wrote:
Govanbhoy wrote:Where is old Mengele now?

Mengele. Very Happy Very Happy

Your bullying of Gers will not be tolerated on here young man. Evil or Very Mad

You can't bully the nazi, he isn't here these days.

Flouncing poofter.

Ps glad to hear you share my distaste for the SF board GB, their admin played a part in destroying the original stenny board.
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:44 am

Govanbhoy wrote:I have sworn biblical calamity on those who spoiled my sunday the other week.

Especially when i had the Champions to win 3-1 on a correct score.

( bookies dream so i am ).

I gave up betting on Celtic games when Hartson went, GB.

Every time I bet on big fat boy to score I won. He made me £300 in his first season......I walked in that Hartson wonderland Very Happy
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:46 am

Govanbhoy wrote:
"biblical calamity"

It's stuff like this that keeps ya comin back

Laughing Very Happy
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:47 am

...that and the music...

...and the voices in the head...

obviously Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next