Cultural Trip

+2
Immo
Gladstone
6 posters

Go down

Cultural Trip Empty Cultural Trip

Post by Gladstone Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:20 am

Been away to Scouseland for a few days, breaching my restraining order, I know. I’ve put magnets round the electronic tag, deflecting the signals: no one is safe.

Plenty to see and do in Liverpool, some better than others. But what struck me is the exploitation of their biggest musical product. All over the city are tributes to the Famous Four, as I recall they were known. There is even a large building named after them ->

Cultural Trip 5lqtk4

Statues aplenty too in honour of the band ->

Cultural Trip Fne7uw

Anyway, I was there for the culture, and while looking for Wetherspoons pubs which are dotted around near Lime Street, I stoated into the World Museum and Walker Art Gallery next door.

I liked the fish:- Cultural Trip 14jb8m9

............but wasn’t impressed with some of the vulgarity on view. Children and old folk were in the building, for fuck’s sake. Embarassed

Cultural Trip 5afh55

Knowing crown likes arty stuff, off I fell into the Walker: some real pish on view there! The one on the top was about 8 feet wide with a wee, poorly drawn football on wheels in the centre, while the lower piece looked like a combined effort from a pre school class.

Cultural Trip 2el4mqx

Yet I liked this big hamster cage:

Cultural Trip Mb7b61

Outside, on the pavement, a Banksy:

Cultural Trip 2z7rgpv

Later, something to dilute the cheap beer: ‘You’ll Never Eat Alone’ was this local eatery’s slogan->

Cultural Trip 33v2igy

Of course, no trip to the City of Thieves would be complete without a trip to The Cavern................

Cultural Trip 351uxe8

................which has many statues nearby, feeding on the Queen phenomenon......

Cultural Trip 16kswnk

and this one of Peter and Gordon
Cultural Trip 24mi2xw

Here’s Brian May!
Cultural Trip Mk9ph1

Of course, I had to visit the William Gladstone pub, just across the road from the Brian May statue, which offered a bottle of wine for under a fiver, and a pint of beer under £2. Don’t know who these folk on the wall are. Looked sort of familiar. Smile

Cultural Trip 2rdyxe9

One place I fitted in well was here: Chinatown. I didn’t know anything about the place before I went. A bit scruffy, but it supposedly scrubs up well for festivals.

Cultural Trip 20zqp0g

I'll be welcomed back any time.

Gladstone
Gladstone

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Cultural Trip Empty Re: Cultural Trip

Post by Immo Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:23 am

cheers

Top traveloguing Gee. Smile

I worked in L'pool in the 90s and went to The Cavern. It's on the site next door to the original site innit? scratch It's a great city and I loved it when I was there.

Did you not go on the ferry? With such a stout lookin anorak, I assumed you might've. Very Happy

Immo
Immo

Number of posts : 5228
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Immo, the Cavern is on the same site as originally: down about 5 flights of stairs and you're there: the pic with the box office is the original Cavern, the one with John Lennon leaning on the wall is 'The Cavern Pub' just across the road, both on Mathew Street.

My wife's feart of boats, so no, we weren't on the ferry (you cheeky Gok Wan you). That's a Leeds United jacket, can't you see? Very Happy
Gladstone
Gladstone

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 am

Good review G. There's not really much to Liverpool these days, is there?

Anyway you deserve kudos just for suggesting you might wear a Leeds United jacket on Merseyside Very Happy
supermo
supermo

Number of posts : 3941

Back to top Go down

Post by niall o,dhubghaill Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:26 am

I,m just back from 3 days in Aberdeen, i would have taken pic n nat, but i couldnt be arsed and i was mostly pished, only thing to do in that dreich cauld place. oh and when i got back at 11:30 last night, my motor was lying smashed to fuck, so bad that today the insurance scrapped it. Evil or Very Mad

niall o,dhubghaill

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm pissed, be back tomorrow to give this a proper read Glad
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakePlissken Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:26 pm

a review from Jimmy?....i had one of them ...it was so scathing i left the business No
SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:03 pm

SnakePlissken wrote:a review from Jimmy?....i had one of them ...it was so scathing i left the business No

I'm sure you'll get over it snake, did I ever say you were funnier when ...... Very Happy

Looks like a good trip Glad, I should probably make the effort sometime to go to the likes of Liverpool, Manchester etc but to be honest I can't really be arsed with cities. I tolerate Glasgow for the football and cheap drink, Edinburgh because its quite scenic but I'm happiest in some hotel set in the middle of nowhere. As long as its got a bar and does chicken in a basket Cheers
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down