I Waited for the Man...

+3
niall o,dhubghaill
Immo
supermo
7 posters

Go down

I Waited for the Man... Empty I Waited for the Man...

Post by supermo Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:24 am

An interesting week. I've been in London for most of it....an opportunity to share a national celebration with our English cousins, and to meet long-time hero (always a dangerous move), see a gig, and sample the nation in crisis because our airyplanes couldn't fly thanks to volcanic ash in the atmosphere.

You couldn't mnake it up, really. At least that's what I said to Nelson Mandela, but the dour cunt didn't even reply...

I Waited for the Man... Mandela

So anyway, ah yes. They've converted the old GLC headquarters into a Premier Inn, of all things. It's right next to the London Eye...

I Waited for the Man... LondonEye

And 5 minutes walk from the wonderful Royal Festival Hall, where I was to meet none other than The Man, the Rock n Roll Animal hisself, Lewis Allen Reed...aka The Godfather of Punk and what-have-you, yes Lou fukkin Reed, man (beat that Immogreen!)

Here's Lou and one of his band, in awe at the realisation that they're in the presence of Supermo (whose left shoulder is clearly visible in this shot, can't be arsed doing a Gladstone smiley face right now)...

I Waited for the Man... LouReedLondon1904101A

Truth is, we should maybe never meet our heroes. Lou turned up late, then complained "we" were late, then signed some autographs, answered a few questions from some awe-struck fans, posed for a couple of pics, and flounced off to the stage.

Here he is with his happy look on......

I Waited for the Man... LouReedLondon1904101B

Honest to God he made me seem like a grinning hippy and James Ellroy seem like everybody's favourite ole granpappy...

Remember my meeting with Mr Ellroy, kids ?
I Waited for the Man... Ellroy2051109-1

Anyway, Lou was anything but Sweet Jane and seemed to be wearing all of his 68 years rather badly. However, I got a firm handshake, two autographs, a couple of photos and some intensely deep conversation with the other two members of the Metal Machine Trio, who were playing at the RFH (hence our meeting backstage, right!)

Billed as "an evening of noise" basically it consisted of Lou Reed and these two swotty looking guys re-enacting the spirit of Metal Machine Music for 80 minutes. If you haven't heard MMM it's hard to explain really.

Ulrich Kreiger asked me: "You must haf heard the work I did with Sonic Youth?". This guy makes Kraftwerk, Neu and Tangerine Dream (all faves of mine btw) sound like the Spice Girls. The third member of the trio, Seth Calhoun, did tell a funny story about falling into the orchestra pit at a gig I attended in Manchester last summer.

I Waited for the Man... LouReedLondon1904101C

It was while he was onstage I realised why Lou had seemed so grumpy when we met. In fact he was totally hyper, all worked up before going on stage. Goddamit, he was nervous! In hindsight we should have met him after the gig, but I guess that's past curfew for him these days, and he probably needs to be tucked up with some cocoa by 10pm. His missus, Laurie Anderson, was sitting right behind me during the show, but I never realised until we were leaving, dammit.
supermo
supermo

Number of posts : 3941
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

I Waited for the Man... Empty Re: I Waited for the Man...

Post by Immo Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:30 am

I Waited for the Man... Icon_evil I Waited for the Man... Icon_evil

You're just showin off now I Waited for the Man... Kopfschuettel

I Waited for the Man... Icon_lol I Waited for the Man... Icon_lol
Immo
Immo

Number of posts : 5228
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by niall o,dhubghaill Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:37 am

he thought he was imm-o for a day. I Waited for the Man... Icon_smile

niall o,dhubghaill

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:41 am

So anyway......apparently it was St George's Week this week. That's what it says on this banner at the Leadenhall (off Lombard Street in the City, recommended visiting btw).

I Waited for the Man... LeadenhallLondon

Sample ye ole English fayre! Red and white bunting! Roast beef! There was even a couple of musos playing ye olde English tunes....

I Waited for the Man... Leadenhall2

But this is the thing about the English (and part of the reason I like them so much)....first stall in the Olde English / St George's Week / Jolly England festival celebration was ....er, a patisserie.

The next one was offering Croque Monsieur as a lunchtime special.

The St George's celebration featured every dish under the sun, served by every nationality under the sun. Because London is a true cosmopolitan melting pot, despite what cunts like Griffin think.

I had some Olde English.....Chorizo...

I Waited for the Man... Chorizo

Then a nice plate of Gnocchi, but I didn't snap it. Just ate the damn thing.

The day before I had a healthy Miso and some of this:
I Waited for the Man... GreenTea

Which was just as well because I was so fukkin hungry before my Lou Reed meeting that I ate one of the Premier Inn's dinner specials, which was actually quite good but hardly a healthy option...
I Waited for the Man... Burger

Thing about the City is sometimes you stumble across lanes with funny names, there's lots of them but here's a couple:

I Waited for the Man... PopesHead
I Waited for the Man... LittleBritain

They've even done up Euston, dragging it out of its late 60s' concrete hell, or at least a few weeks into the 70s....
I Waited for the Man... Euston

Off peak returns on virgin £108, 4.5 hours each way. Volcanic ash or not, there are worse ways to travel. Here's to England and St George (who, according to some cunt on Radio 4 this morning, was probably a black guy of mixed Middle Eastern parentage).

I hope they do well in the World Cup, they might give Capello an earldom or at least a waitering gig at the next St George's Week Very Happy
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 am

Immo wrote:I Waited for the Man... Icon_evil I Waited for the Man... Icon_evil

You're just showin off now I Waited for the Man... Kopfschuettel

I Waited for the Man... Icon_lol I Waited for the Man... Icon_lol

You and Crown upped the stakes, man.

Not sure I can keep up taking pictures of food I'm eating though Very Happy

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester, this weekend. Not sure if I'll get any pics ... Mad
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:47 am

I've got a cracker comin up in August which will (hopefully) involve pics of me drinking warm beer and guzzling canapes with Celtic players and management in a behind the scenes stylee.

Nuff said I Waited for the Man... E5001367

Top review BTW I Waited for the Man... Icon_cheers I Waited for the Man... Icon_cheers
Immo
Immo

Number of posts : 5228

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:07 am

Fukk, I'll have to take up one of those "number 7 restaurant" offers they keep sending... Very Happy

I'm kinda hoping we'll have a completely difference Celtic team and management by then, tbh.
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:16 am

niall o,dhubghaill wrote:he thought he was imm-o for a day. I Waited for the Man... Icon_smile

Very Happy
A hustle here and a hustle there
Crown Liquor's offering his ass where
you take a Walk on the Wild Side...
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by onomatopoeia Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:49 am

Great stuff mo, although the whole time I was reading I was hoping for a picture of your shoes cheers

onomatopoeia

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:53 am

onomatopoeia wrote:Great stuff mo, although the whole time I was reading I was hoping for a picture of your shoes cheers

Next time, Ono, next time.

Any more shots of your hat? Laughing
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Supermo, you're my favourite poster now. Not because of the report/review (although that was interesting and informative), and not because you couldn't be arsed doing a Gladstone smiley face (that's my real face I Waited for the Man... Icon_eek ), but because you reminded me about 'Oil City Confidential', which I recorded and have half watched today. Wilko looks a bit diferent!

Thanks! I Waited for the Man... Icon_biggrin
Gladstone
Gladstone

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:46 pm

Great stuff mo, you can tell you're a trained chimp writer. I Waited for the Man... Icon_cheers I Waited for the Man... Icon_cheers You still haven't got me an android phone to play with though, useless cunt. I Waited for the Man... 286271 I Waited for the Man... Icon_biggrin

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:09 pm

I fucking hate Gnocchi, its pointless
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:09 am

I never took you for a racist, James.
The Gnocchi are a proud people, driven from their homeland by pestilence and war. We owe them shelter and a decent pesto.
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:52 am

Dirty bastards Mo, they spread semolina
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum