Public art repetition

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Public art repetition

Post by Gladstone on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:56 am

That Andy Scott guy must be making a fkn fortune out of Scottish councils and lottery cash. He did the John Greig statue at Ibrox, and that is a good piece, but Central Scotland is being swamped by his galvanised steel monstrosities. Soon to arrive, big horses heads at the east end of the Forth & Clyde Canal. I think he's getting a quarter of a million for them.

Scott's site

Anyway, what does our expert on these matters reckon about Scott's stuff? I'm fed up with it. A bit of variety is what the public wants.

Gladstone

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2008-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Public art repetition

Post by supermo on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:24 am

Too right G. That flouncing mermaid thing on the M80 only reminds you by its ugliness that you're driving thru Cumbernauld.

The thing is the guy's a hun so he has to keep getting subsidies otherwise it would all be a timmy conspiracy.... Rolling Eyes

Some of his earlier stuff was better I think.

Number of posts : 3867

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by test on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Don't know if you mean me,Glad, but I know nothing about art, just visit a lot of contemporary art galleries. Am on the train to Bradford 1 now, so writing this to kill time.

http://www.bradfordmuseums.org/venues/bradford1gallery/index.php

Anyway, here are some thoughts:

I dislike all representative art, it lacks imagination and as the piece is clearly identifiable as horses it falls into my bigoted category of representative.

A sense of scale can add undeserved artistic merit to a piece and fool you into thinking it's great art, this is a trap I often fall into, am a sucker for grand gestures.

Would like to see examples of pieces you dislike, but more importantly pieces that please you.

test

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2008-05-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:56 pm

ACtually I don't like any of Andy Scott's public erections, apart from the Greig / Ibrox Memorial which I actually think is quite poignant (whether or not it's meant to be):
http://www.scottsculptures.co.uk/theworks/ibrox

Those canal things look monstrous. I hate the motorway / bridge sculptures. The Cumbernauld one I find most offensive simply because I see it most often from the road:
http://www.scottsculptures.co.uk/theworks/arria

Much better is the motorway work of David Mach, of course:
http://www.art-in-partnership.org.uk/cms/index.html?topic_id=90

There's something Soviet about those heads that I find interesting.

Hope you're having fun in Bradford, Licker. Great people there.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by test on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:50 am

supermo wrote:

Those canal things look monstrous. I hate the motorway / bridge sculptures. The Cumbernauld one I find most offensive simply because I see it most often from the road:
http://www.scottsculptures.co.uk/theworks/arria

Oooh, that's a very unpleasant piece, mo.

supermo wrote:

Much better is the motorway work of David Mach, of course:
http://www.art-in-partnership.org.uk/cms/index.html?topic_id=90

There's something Soviet about those heads that I find interesting.

That's much better. Soviet art is fantastic, knew there must be a reason the retarded cyclist respects you so much. He's asked me to post this for you, he's not a normal idiot, that boy:

The above is a piece by Tracey Emin titled "Birds 2012", from the "You Inspire Me" exhibition at Bradford1.

test

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 am

Test: I have only recently become aware of intrusive public art, probably due to the scale of these Andy Scott monstrosities (plus that Angel of the North, although I liked Gormley's Another Place)

My favourite public art pieces generally might not be regarded as being part of that category: I like follies, such as The Pineapple at Dunmore, or McCaig's Tower at Oban.

That Barking Town Square Folly's rather good, as a recent work.

I like statues as well, and old towers, castles and industrial buildings, in various states of disrepair. But are these examples of art?

My close pal is an artist, one of the few who wholly earns a living from painting in Scotland.

I wonder if you'd enjoy his work?
Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:10 am

Got ambushed/swedged by 'Airth Boys' (along with the Sweeney bros) during an ill-advised (Summer-Holiday-Ennui-Inspired) Sunday 'hike' to the pineapple from Fawkirk.

Good day. Very Happy

Unfortunately, I know nowt about (visual/paintery/sculptorly) art.

I do like those Rooshian heads tho.

I'd guess Peter Campbell for the guy in the painting... but I thought he had more hair (and beard) than that. Right shape of face tho..

Oh - wait...

Is it Richard Harris? drunken Laughing

Number of posts : 5163
Registration date : 2008-05-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by test on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:30 pm

You canít disparage the ďAngel Of The NorthĒ, glad, thatís sacrilege. Iím gonna have to punch mo really hard in the face for that comment.
The coolest thing about The Angel was when they dressed it in the football shirt, public art incarnate.
More info;
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2008/04/25/secrets-of-shearer-shirt-on-angel-revealed-72703-20819841/

And a video on how it was achieved:

Not sure about the Pineapple, but like the other two follies.

Gladstone wrote:
I like statues as well, and old towers, castles and industrial buildings, in various states of disrepair. But are these examples of art?

These things are most definitely art, architecture is the most public form of art.
I love these iron shaped buildings. This one is on Godwin Street, Bradford:

Urban decay is one of the joys of discovering a new town, I often find the forgotten buildings more appealing then the maintained ones.

Gladstone wrote:
My close pal is an artist, one of the few who wholly earns a living from painting in Scotland.
I wonder if you'd enjoy his work?

Not really my sort of thing, glad, but if heíd like to do an interview (or anything) for EC, Iíll let mo off that punch in the face.

Thanks to you and mo for sharing your thoughts. Immo, well youíre just a genius whatever you write, especially when itís bad things about mo.

Right, have ectopic heartbeats firing off at all angles, Iím off to do........I donít know really, panic and cry probably. Donít get Brugada Syndrome, folks.

test

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:47 am

"Punch in the face" is in fact Crown Licker's coded reference for kissing my ass shiny-white. But that won't surprise our long-standing readers.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:12 am

Re the artist whoís my friend, his nameís James McDonald. Weíve been pals since preschool years, and we still meet in the pub at the Cross twice a week.
For the sake of it, here are examples of his work, including some recent items from a show at the Royal Glasgow Institute.

And hereís his work desk recently>>>>>

Crown, send the questions and Iíll interview James. Very Happy
Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by test on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Would love you to record (audio only or video) an interview with James, you would then supplant mo as my ultimate hero, I never liked the baldy twat anyway.*

My contacts inform me youíre an erudite man and are more than capable (far more so than a thick cunt like, me) of formulating your own questions, but Iíll do some research and send you some questions if you wish.

*Mo, only joking, sweetheart.
The long promised, latest DVD should be in your hands tomorrow.

Bet next time youíre passing Eurocentral, and you have time, youíre going to shoot a quick ďwander roundĒ video of David Machís ďBig HeidsĒ, for your uncle S, arenít you?

This applies to anyone, please shoot video of any contemporary art you encounter. EC isnít about my videos, itís a place to find interesting content supplied by anyone and hopefully encourage people to see the art for themselves and be creative. Fair enough I curate EC and am an utter fascist.

test

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:44 am

Test, discussed the interview with James, we'll get something done in the not too distant future as he sees possibilities in the idea. Send questions if you want, knowing James he might be happier to answer his own questions!
Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by test on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Sounds great, Glad.
As stated earlier, happy to leave everything in your more than capable hands. Only question I have is do intoxicants aid the creative process (if so, which does he favour) or is it a false creativity when viewed in a sober light? Of course this is irrelevant if he doesnít drink or partake of substances. Please donít ask if this question would offend him.

test

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 am

Don't forget the prerequisite question of course, G: Has anyone ever called yer pal a cunt?

Also, Immo wants to know if he's a hun...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top