Mo informs me

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mo informs me

Post by crownliquor on Sun May 01, 2011 12:23 am

......this place is dying. If you let that happen, youíll never get the two best forum posters (immo and mo) in the history of the internet, together in one place again. Mo has a wealth of stories and insight, so utilise him and donít forget to flatter him or heíll flounce. Immo is just a genius, all he wants is a bit of feedback, itís what all writers crave.
Donít be fools to yourselves, youíll miss stenny when itís gone.

Thank you for the PMs, sorry I havenít replied to them. Would greatly appreciate any music PMs e-mailed to me, you can use my yahoo account or the name of this site @gmail.com , or hit the e-mail button on my profile. I do reply to e-mails.

But more important than stenny dying, please, please, please donít let yourself die without attending the Jaume Plensa exhibition at Yorkshire Sculpture Park, http://www.ysp.co.uk/exhibitions/jaume-plensa it will enrich your life.
Hereís my review to try and entice you, please go:

Wasnít going to write a review of the Plensa exhibition, but ideas kept popping into my head and jotted them down on my phone just in case. WBCP even said, youíre going to use that in the review arenít you, a couple† of times?

Was a mundane train ride to Wakefield, broken only by the guard threatening to throw me off. Apparently sitting in the aisle, rocking back and forth, bawling like a baby and speaking in tongues, is not acceptable on public transport. Fascist.

Wait a minute, just looked at my notes. Just before Doncaster station the train suddenly turned into a high speed tilting one. Well, the tracks werenít level and the train listed quite heavily to one side, I was holding onto my seat for dear life. (You do exaggerate sometimes, crown)

Wakefield station has very little merit and didnít bother with a picture. Did take a picture of this cool looking pub opposite the station:

WBCP picked me up at the station and gave me a quick tour round Wakefield to see how it has changed. To be honest, Iíve only been out in Wakefield once and met her there once to have a wander around on another occasion. This was over ten years ago and I couldnít remember anything to appreciate the changes. I do remember the club we went to was called ďRooftop GardensĒ, HHHH and ďfat SueĒ were there also. Do you remember, HHHH?

Tour over we went to Blacker Hall Farm Shop for some breakfast. http://www.blackerhall.com/barn_restaurant.htm There seem to be a lot of farm shops around this area, we went to one before The Festival Of Light in December. They are incredibly smart and trendy, they wouldnít be out of place in the trendiest part of any town. We had toasted teacakes, if youíre interested.

Over the teacakes, WBCP related a story about DCMS Minister Jeremy Hunt. When presented with the arts funding cuts, he increased what was asked, and delivered this increase. He did this because heís an ambitious little shit with no concern for others and thinks these extra cuts will help him get one of the top ministerial jobs, Home Office, Chancellor etc. Radio4 presenter James Naughtie got the measure of him, with his mispronunciation: http://swns.com/naughtie-boy-radio-4-presenter-mispronounces-jeremy-hunts-name-on-the-today-show-060852.html

Arrived at YSP and as the Plensa exhibition wasnít open until 1pm we walked over to the Southbank Centre to see the Structure and Material Exhibition. http://www.ysp.co.uk/exhibitions/structure-and-material-claire-barclay-becky-beasley-karla-black
YSP is huge, itís a two kilometre walk to the Southbank Centre from the main site. Hereís a view of us just setting out for it:

Walking across, WBCP told this story from her organist friend:
An 83 year old woman had been to a classic music recital in which the organist was playing. She spoke to the organist afterwards and said the piece he played made her cry. The organist, said thank you, Iím glad it moved you.
No, she said, I crying for the 83 years Iíve wasted and missed this music, because I thought classical music wasnít for the likes of me. Ė What a lovely, yet depressing story.

As we approached Southbank I noticed the windows, they looked filthy and remarked as to whether they were part of the exhibition, because it would be really odd to leave them in that state if not:

Turns out the windows had been painted and it was part of the exhibition. Looked more like a dirty protest to me.

Structure And Material was alright, it didnít do much for me.
Southbank is a big, airy industrial space, perfect for contemporary exhibitions, I loved it.

Also at Southbank, in a side gallery, are a collection of Henry Moore maquettes. http://www.ysp.co.uk/exhibitions/henry-moore-from-the-arts-council-collection

Iím not a huge Henry Moore fan, but we both agreed this was our favourite piece. (the one on the left):

Wandering back from the Southbank, the conversation went like this:
WBCP: Ooh, Iíve got to ask you something.
Me: Oh no, what have I done?
WBCP: No, nothing, I just promised Iíd ask you. Do you want to be my friend PPPPís ďfuck buddyĒ. It would be perfect, you wouldnít have to involve yourself with her kids, it will be no strings attached and will fit in with your fear of commitment.

Veers off on a tangent, for a change Ė I learnt this week that you canít class ďrunning away from commitmentĒ as proper exercise, hardly seems fair does it?

Right, where was I? So, my hero, mentor, confidant (thatís a lie for a start, crown. Youíve never confided in anyone in your whole life) and woman whose company I crave above all others, is pimping me out. I didnít know what to say. Well, I did actually, I asked if PPPP was ging-herr Grrrrrrrrr(good) Very Happy

Reached the main site and lunched outside on the restaurant balcony in the sunshine, it was lovely. http://www.ysp.co.uk/page/food-and-drink/mc †The portions were huge and very good value. WBCP bought lunch as usual. I add this, because the rules of spending time with me, are you buy me lunch. Lunch doesn't guarantee you sleeping with me though, unless of course you're ging-herr, James. Very Happy

Replete, it was time for the Plensa exhibition.
What can I say? It was stunning, the best art exhibition Iíve ever encountered. Wow! Was exclaimed more than once and I think I may have smiled, but without pictures it didnít happen. Very Happy
Talking of pictures:

Being greeted by this next picture took my breath away, beyond stunning, a beautiful, beautiful experience:

Right, gonna stop with the Plensa pictures now, but please, please make the effort to see this exhibition, it will enrich your life. Oooh, forgot, hereís Plensa giving a speech at the opening:

Finished with Plensa, we completed the tour of YSP.

I saw this sculpture and found it completely boring. Thought there must be something more to it, so got close and interacted with it. What can I say, it felt beautiful, the most sensuous thing Iíve ever touched, it was amazing. Called WBCP over to touch it, and she agreed. Then she pointed out, it looks like a head, two breasts, a belly and two thighs, repeated for the whole sculpture. It was utterly, utterly sensuous, I just wanted to hug it. I loved it. Couldnít fit it in the boot of her car though:

Jumped on the courtesy bus back to the station with Fidel Lopez Alvarez, Minister for Culture and Scientific Affairs, Spanish Embassy, London. Friend of the great and good, me. J And that was the end of YSP.

It was without doubt the best cultural day ever, will implore you all once more, please visit if you get the opportunity.
Can only thank WBCP for once again being a fountain of knowledge and putting up with my stupid questions, she really is the Worldís Best Cultural Partner. But if I donít get invited to the opening of the Barbara Hepworth Gallery next month http://www.waterfrontwakefield.com/hepworth.asp She can forget about pimping me out to her friends, even if they are ging-herr Grrrrrrr (good) Very Happy

Jesus, I didnít know you could get a culture comedown. Today has been shocking, the darkness seems to increase rather than decrease. Make the pain go away please, mum.
Iím going back under the stairs.

FIN

I have now been banned from calling "Fat Sue", fat Sue. I don't get it, her name is Sue and she's fat. It's an infringement on free speech.

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3681
Registration date : 2008-05-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mo informs me

Post by niall o,dhubghaill on Sun May 01, 2011 2:19 am

Although you managed to insult me no end by not including me in the best 3 internet forum posters ever, you fucking absent landlord bastard that you are, i ,ll forgive you, cos thats the kinda guy i am. however i dont have a scooby about all that art bollocks,so i,ll refrain from trying to sound like er, oh i dunno..................bewlay,and move right on to yer second point about letting this board die, yer right we shouldnt, though i dont understand why it,s suddenly gone like this, if ye read this, lets make the effort. thats all i,ll say ceptin you lot get yer fuckin pretentious holes back on, including you crown ya feckin cocksocket.

niall o,dhubghaill

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2010-01-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo on Mon May 02, 2011 11:26 am

Silence in the ranks Corporal Jones Sevilliano!! Evil or Very Mad

Generalissimo Crown has made me a Sergeant and consequently... I outrank you. Twisted Evil

He has instructed me to point you towards clause 1690 of the Stennymad Rules

Rule 1967 - Clause 1690

(i) Any contributor to a board with as slow traffic as Stennymad, is clearly insane and therefore a perfect contributor for the board.

(ii) As soon as I saw the contributor come in I thought... what a lovely contributor...it's a perfect contributor for the role.

(iii) Any contributor who expects such insanity to yield results in terms of immediate replies or on-line chattage is clearly delusional and should be considered for promotion to the post of Sergeant.

(iv) It's some board that Stennymad
cheers

You're on spud-bashing duties for the next month Corporal. Twisted Evil

Not that it'll be much of a change for you. lol!

PS

If you watch between 1.00 and 1.30 you'll see the Generalissimo give me his first set of orders after my promotion. Very Happy

EDIT

Beautiful track btw Sev - carry on... fine pair of shoulders etc etc Very Happy

Number of posts : 5163
Registration date : 2008-05-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niall o,dhubghaill on Mon May 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thats what it's all about. Very Happy Very Happy

forgot to say, Alan Arkin is a god.

niall o,dhubghaill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone on Wed May 04, 2011 9:47 am

Lovely big heads.

Yet where's the techy advice sought. No
Gladstone

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2008-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladstone on Wed May 04, 2011 9:53 am

On reflection, I like the big heads. Mostly: apart from the first two, which have bodies attached, and are like most roundabouts in Clackmannanshire.
Gladstone

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2008-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory on Mon May 09, 2011 7:32 pm

The upside down raspberry does nothing for me but I like the two giants sitting having a crap cheers

I'd take a look at that crown but the chances of me ending up in Yorkshire again don't seem likely for another 20 years

Number of posts : 2461

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niall o,dhubghaill on Tue May 10, 2011 1:48 am

its just across the border from me, in fact i sometimes end up in yorshire without even realising it.

niall o,dhubghaill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory on Tue May 10, 2011 11:31 pm

niall o,dhubghaill wrote:its just across the border from me, in fact i sometimes end up in yorshire without even realising it.

You want to lay off the sauce sev Cheers

Number of posts : 2461

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niall o,dhubghaill on Wed May 11, 2011 1:26 am

lol its true,

niall o,dhubghaill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor on Sun May 22, 2011 6:53 am

niall o,dhubghaill wrote:Although you managed to insult me no end by not including me in the best 3 internet forum posters ever, you fucking absent landlord bastard that you are, i ,ll forgive you, cos thats the kinda guy i am. however i dont have a scooby about all that art bollocks,so i,ll refrain from trying to sound like er, oh i dunno..................bewlay,and move right on to yer second point about letting this board die, yer right we shouldnt, though i dont understand why it,s suddenly gone like this, if ye read this, lets make the effort. thats all i,ll say ceptin you lot get yer fuckin pretentious holes back on, including you crown ya feckin cocksocket.

Just read it sev.

Stenny doesn't need to be bangin', it works as a drop in centre, people must keep dropping in though. And when I finally get the lend of a gun, mo will be in charge, then you'll be fucking sorry. Very Happy

There wasn't a top 3, just 2, so don't be too upset. Very Happy

WBCP has said she'll take me to the Lowry http://www.thelowry.com/exhibitions/ You could visit and write a review? I'm not over keen, but being a bitch, will do as I'm told.
Promise I'll give you the opportunity to buy lunch if Lowry comes off.
It won't be soon. Off to Saatchi and Tate Modern on Thursday, anyone in London that day, dad? Then The Hepworth Gallery at a date to be confirmed.

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3681
Registration date : 2008-05-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum