Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Empty Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House

Post by supermo Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:14 pm

It's Sunday, so it must be:

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Manchester2504101

I like this city, for all its Lowryesque skies laden with gloom, especially powerful at dusk. Beyond Salford and the canals and all that stuff - the bits of the city that survived the descent of the hun hordes back in 2008 - it's quite prosperous. And that prosperity has spawned some lurid modern building developments, like the fascinating but hugely disproportionate Hilton:

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Manchester2504103

Of course there are more familiar landmarks, like the home of "Corrie". I never watch that programme, but I read recently it's all about infidelity, attempted murder and lesbianism so I must tune in sometime. Does it go out after the watershed?

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Manchester2504102

Anyway, off to the Opera House, another of Manchester's "wedding cake" theatres who add a "restoration levy" to the price of tickets. This is something I'm all in favour of. Not so keen on the over-bearing stewards here or at the Palace, where they tap your shoulder for taking a photo - even when you have switched off the flash. Fascists. Mad

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Manchester2504104

Here's Gil Scott-Heron, living legend. He's the smudge in the middle, between the two other smudges playing keyboards and drums....

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Manchester2504105

Gil started with a 10 minute monologue (and a few crap jokes) and ended in fuller, er, jazz mode. "It's interesting releasing a new CD. You find out all sorts of things. Like apparently I 'disappeared'....."
It was a fun show in an "eclectic" sense. Plus there were a few foxy black chicks in the crowd which always cheers me up.

That was it really. Sunday night in the land of the Mancs (sorry Sev but it was another flying visit, had to be in Glasgow this morning). I did find one of those streets that Licker hangs out in though.....we can expect a picture of him offering fisting services or whatever here next time he's in town...

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Manchester2504106
supermo
supermo

Number of posts : 3941
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Empty Re: Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House

Post by JimmyMcGrory Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:09 am

Sounds like a good trip Mo, did he sing this?

JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Number of posts : 2519
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Empty Re: Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House

Post by supermo Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:54 am

Not that one Jimmy. He did a couple of oldies and a lot from the new album.

He did play this though:
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by niall o,dhubghaill Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:42 am

Ad ne,er a phone call. Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_evil Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_evil Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_evil

i own that fuckin toon!

niall o,dhubghaill

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:57 am

niall o,dhubghaill wrote:

i own that fuckin toon!

If that was true, you might do something about the extortionate prices at the Great Northern carpark off Deansgate.

£8.60 for three hours on a Sunday night ffs....even worse than the Mitchell St multi in Glasgow Shocked
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by niall o,dhubghaill Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:33 pm

supermo wrote:
niall o,dhubghaill wrote:

i own that fuckin toon!

If that was true, you might do something about the extortionate prices at the Great Northern carpark off Deansgate.

£8.60 for three hours on a Sunday night ffs....even worse than the Mitchell St multi in Glasgow Shocked

i would have, IF YOU HAD RUNG!!!! Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_sad

niall o,dhubghaill

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Good stuff as always mo. Surely the "Camp Street" photo would have been improved with you performing a camp boxing pose, an opportunity missed there? Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_biggrin I'm camp as christmas mate, so would head straight there for a photo op, but even though I've pushed for a CD in Manchester the CP doesn't seem very keen, I think she's heard about sevvy, the filthy beast. Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_biggrin

And no shoes picture, don't you bead rattlers wear shoes?

crownliquor

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:10 pm

We wear sandals, even in winter
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Back to top Go down

Post by niall o,dhubghaill Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:51 am

did gil mention his da then shout fuck the huns!? Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_lol

niall o,dhubghaill

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:31 am

Funnily enough, apart from his Dad's time at Celtic, Gil has another Scottish connection - his writing career was revived when Jamie Byng at Canongate re-published his novels a few years back. Byng had a nice piece about Gil in the Guardian recently.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/apr/17/gil-scott-heron-byng

first time I'd heard a jazz version of the Broad Black Brimmer tho... Suspect
Very Happy
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:55 am

Oh, this is cool....... Cool

supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:56 am

Gill Scott Heron is way to cool to be a currant mo Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_biggrin
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:58 am

Goes without sayin' Jimmy, goes without sayin'.

But you said it anyways Laughing
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyMcGrory Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:00 am

I'm stating the obvious from now on Mo, some cunts are too daft too see it Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_scratch
JimmyMcGrory
JimmyMcGrory

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:46 pm

JimmyMcGrory wrote:We wear sandals, even in winter

Nothing about you arboreal highlanders surprises me James. Apart from you clearing a virus from your old boy's computer. Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_biggrin

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat May 01, 2010 6:01 am

S'pose I should add a picture of my feet, before the demands get too loud... Smile

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Shoes
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Sat May 01, 2010 9:28 am

Do your toes go all the way to the end of those babies? Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_biggrin
Immo
Immo

Number of posts : 5228

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat May 01, 2010 9:31 am

Of course.

Better than your brothel creepers or those totally crass fukkin mountain boot things we see on Herr Licker.

Very Happy
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Sat May 01, 2010 9:50 am

Dang! Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_mad

I lost a bet with Toots that the words 'pixie' or 'toes' would feature in your reply. Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_evil

That's £1.75 of Tesco vouchers I'll never see again Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_lol
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat May 01, 2010 9:55 am

Immo wrote:Dang! Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_mad

I lost a bet with Toots that the words 'pixie' or 'toes' would feature in your reply. Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_evil

That's £1.75 of Tesco vouchers I'll never see again Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_lol

Very Happy Very Happy Cheap bastard!
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Sat May 01, 2010 9:58 am

Dang! Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_mad

I laid off £3.50's worth of vouchers on a bet that you'd make a reference to Toots in the reply. Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_mad

Fuckin mug's game innit Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_lol
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by supermo Sat May 01, 2010 10:49 am

Immo wrote:Dang! Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_mad

I laid off £3.50's worth of vouchers on a bet that you'd make a reference to Toots in the reply. Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_mad

Fuckin mug's game innit Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_lol

Not if your name's Toots and you fancy some Tesco vouchers it isn't Laughing
supermo
supermo

Back to top Go down

Post by Immo Sat May 01, 2010 11:22 am

Ka-ching! Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House 814102 Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_lol
Immo
Immo

Back to top Go down

Post by crownliquor Sat May 01, 2010 3:59 pm

supermo wrote:S'pose I should add a picture of my feet, before the demands get too loud... Smile

Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Shoes

Fuck me, is the circus in town? Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_biggrin

crownliquor

Back to top Go down

Post by niall o,dhubghaill Sat May 01, 2010 9:57 pm

lol, side show bob. Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_biggrin Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_biggrin Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_biggrin Gil Scott Heron, Manchester Opera House Icon_biggrin

niall o,dhubghaill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next